20 June, 2022
Telstra fails in the Cape ... again
The telco's poor record of delivering a reliable service was enhanced last week.
BUSINESS owners in Cape York have once again been let down by Telstra after a region-wide outage on Friday.
Mobile phone networks and some landlines were down across the Peninsula, from Laura to Coen, Aurukun to Weipa, and Lockhart River to Seisia.
The reason? Unknown.
Once again, Telstra has failed to respond to Cape York Weekly and provide answers to the community for its constant failures in the region.
We emailed them on Friday morning requesting an interview, but did not get a response.
While most services came back online on Friday, some users still reported issues over the weekend.
Seisia Holiday Park vented its frustration on Sunday, posting that its internet lines were “in and out of service”.
“We ask that if you do plan on staying with us, please pay with cash.”
However, ATMs were also a victim of the telecommunication issues.
The Laura motel also had issues with its landline and had to divert guests to a mobile phone, although that was also in and out of service.
Poor old Lockhart River was the worst impacted, with phones going down earlier in the week, only to come back online and then get impacted by Friday’s outage.
Seisia resident Talei Elu said it wasn’t good enough for local businesses in the peak of the tourist season.
She said she had tried to contact Telstra to find out when the community was going to get its new phone tower, announced as part of a federal government connectivity program, but couldn’t get a straight answer.
“I’m just over it. There has been no timeline given,” she said.
“Apart from what was announced we haven’t been given any information or been told what the process is.”
Cape York Weekly will continue to request interviews from Telstra.